Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the last week.
- Open request for adminship: 1997kB
- Past: IRC office hour, July 16th (log)
- Upcoming: Wikidata Tainan Meetup in Taiwan, July 31st (Facebook event)
- Did you know?
- Newest properties:
- General datatypes: Wolfram Language unit code, unabbreviated text, extracted from, imprimitur granted by, terms of service, surface gravity, lexeme, chassis, enemy of
- External identifiers: PharmGKB ID, Handball123 player ID, ACMI web ID, AtlasFor ID, Adventure Gamers ID, BIC of the Canary Islands ID, Russian organisation number, World Encyclopedia of Puppetry Arts ID, Anime Characters Database character ID, Anime Characters Database anime ID, ANZCTR ID, Arachne collection ID, Arachne object ID, Australian Suppliers Directory ID, Biyografya ID, Flemish Public Libraries ID, HCIS ID, Lebanese National Library ID, MPG ID, National Library of Luxembourg ID, National Library of Russia ID, National Pollutant Inventory ID, Penguin India author ID, Repertorium van ambtsdragers en ambtenaren id, Australian Educational Vocabulary ID, Syriaca work ID, TuttoCalciatori.Net coach ID, TuttoCalciatori.Net player ID, COURAGE ID, Documenta Catholica Omnia author ID, National Library of Iceland ID, NosDéputés.fr identifiant, Perseus author ID, The Latin Library author ID, TheTVDB episode ID, Colonial Frontier Massacres ID, HOV-ID, PBS Drug Code, AICS Chemical ID
- New property proposals to review:
- General datatypes: image of bone or fossil record, (de)evolution method, WeChat Official Account, Dose, hat Mitglied, Variété de la forme, value group number, orientation, Digital audio workstation, title geographic ref, location of point of view
- External identifiers: misas.org Catholic church ID, identificador de arte público de Zaragoza, Taxonomicon ID, Wayback ID, Common Sense Media ID, FFR fencer ID, Australian Marine Algal Name Index ID, ABBBS Taxon ID, AFCD PFKID, Plant Breeders Rights Database AID, WaterNSW Rivers and Streams Site No., Lens ID, LezWatch.TV actor ID, LezWatch.TV show ID, Grand Canyon Trust ID, LezWatch.TV character ID, Bossu ID, Textile Connect publication ID
- Query examples:
- Newest database reports: family names in Ireland
- Fix a bug that was preventing to add multiple glosses (phab:T228080)
- Show number of senses and forms on page information for WikibaseLexeme entities (phab:T224844)
- Show number of statements and external identifiers on page information for Wikibase entities (phab:T224842))
- Track number of external identifiers on Wikidata over time (phab:T224129)
- Fix a few queries on Grafana (phab:T227788)
- Update the query host for Grafana (phab:T218710)
- Add support for "MediaInfo" as value for "allowed entity types"-constraint (phab:T224362)
- Data bridge: open a modal with edit link information (phab:T226996)
- Show the current Wikidata value in edit modal (phab:T226997)
- Extract data bridge parameters from edit links (phab:T226994)
You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here. If you want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer.
Welcome to the ninth newsletter from the Growth team!
The Growth team's objective is to work on software changes that help retain new contributors in mid-size Wikimedia projects.
Opening Growth features to more wikis[bewerken]
The Growth team has existed for about one year. During that time, we have developed several features that we think can help increase retention. Though we are still gathering data to detect scientifically whether the features increase retention, we think that some of the features are ready to be deployed on more wikis that want to experiment with them. If your community is enthusiastic about welcoming newcomers, we encourage you to contact us so that we can verify together if your wiki is eligible.
Then, go through the checklist to start the process of getting these features:
- Help panel: allow newcomers to find help and ask questions while they edit.
- Welcome survey: learn what topics and types of edits newcomers are interested in.
- EditorJourney: learn what workflows newcomers go through on their first day.
Indicator that encourages users to look at their Notifications for responses to their questions
- A new quarter of the year has started, and the team has set our goals for the next three months. The most important goals are:
- Newcomer homepage: increase activity through a task recommendations module. Now that we have seen several weeks of positive activity on the newcomer homepage, we think that the most important thing to add is a way for newcomers to find tasks to work on. The challenge will be recommending the right kind of tasks at the right point of their journey.
- Newcomer homepage: increase feature discovery rate by 100%. Right now, only 20% - 30% of newcomers ever visit their homepage. We want to double that number by making sure all newcomers know how to find it.
- Help panel: increase usefulness through improvements to affordance, search, and UX flow. We have looked closely at data and anecdotes from the usage of the help panel, and we plan to pursue specific improvements to increase its effectiveness (see accompanying image of a feature that helps newcomers find responses to their questions).
- Wikimania is coming up next month, which includes a "Community Growth" space. We hope to see people from all communities there to talk about how to bring newcomers into our movement.
- We have started to deploy features to our team's fourth target wiki: Arabic Wikipedia. That wiki is the biggest one we target, it has a high percentage of mobile users, and also is our first right-to-left language. This will help us make sure that our features are valuable for as many types of users as possible.
Mobile homepage and early analysis[bewerken]
Button to help newcomers find their homepage from their empty Contributions page
- The mobile version of the newcomer homepage was deployed to Czech, Korean, and Vietnamese Wikipedias. Now, newcomers can access their homepage from both desktop and mobile devices.
- We have published our first set of data about the performance of the newcomer homepage. In summary, we are happy with the homepage's performance so far. We see about half of visitors clicking on something, and the majority of them returning to the homepage multiple times.
- Because we see positive usage of the homepage, we will deploy several small features in the next two weeks that help more newcomers discover their homepage (see accompanying image of a feature that helps newcomers discover their homepage from their empty Contributions page).
- As listed in our goals above, we'll be starting to focus on adding task recommendations to the newcomer homepage. We'll be publishing early thoughts on this feature so that community members can give their thoughts and advice.
Growth team's newsletter prepared by the Growth team and posted by bot • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.