Uit Wikipedia, de vrije encyclopedie
Rule, Britannia! is een onofficieel volkslied van de Britten.
Tekst van het lied[bewerken]
- When Britain first at Heav'n's command,
- Arose from out the azure main;
- This was the charter of the land,
- And guardian angels sang this strain;
- Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves;
- Britons never shall be slaves.
- The nations not so blest as thee,
- Shall in their turns to tyrants fall;
- While thou shalt flourish great and free,
- The dread and envy of them all.
- Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
- More dreadful from each foreign stroke;
- As the loud blast that tears the skies,
- Serves but to root thy native oak.
- Thee haughty tyrants ne'er shall tame,
- All their attempts to bend thee down;
- Will but arouse thy generous flame,
- But work their woe, and thy renown.
- To thee belongs the rural reign,
- They cities shall with commerce shine;
- All thine shall be the subject main,
- And every shore it circles thine.
- The Muses, still with freedom found,
- Shall to thy happy coast repair;
- Blest Isle! With matchless beauty crowned,
- And manly hearts to guide the fair.